Personal health budgets in north east London
Certain groups of people in England have a legal right to a personal health budget. These are currently people eligible for:
- NHS Continuing Healthcare
- children and young people’s continuing care
- after-care services under section 117 of the Mental Health Act
- a new or replaced NHS wheelchair.
We want to see more people in north east London benefiting from personal health budgets by making sure that individuals, carers and professionals in health and care know what they are and how they work.
What we are doing in north east London
- We're providing management support for the implementation across north east London of the serious mental illness personal health budget solution pioneered by City and Hackney with East London NHS Foundation Trust.
- Together with colleagues involved with continuing healthcare planning, we have established a new Community of Practice to support better ways of working for people requiring personal health budgets.
- We’re working with borough leads and providers involved in the set up and management of wheelchair personal health budgets to increase uptake by people who need them most.
- We’re continuing to look at how personal health budgets are being used in services for children and young people, and why they may not be used in some parts of north east London.